South Wales French Car Owners club
Please log in to read the Forum

Hdi boost gauge installtion guide SWFCOLogo

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please log in to read the Forum

Hdi boost gauge installtion guide SWFCOLogo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hdi boost gauge installtion guide

Go down

Hdi boost gauge installtion guide Empty Hdi boost gauge installtion guide

Post by welsh_ben Wed 28 Oct 2009, 01:34

1. First thing you should do is remove the air box and top pipe. This gives you a little bit more room to work. Then take the breather pipe off the top of the crankcase cover, and undo the bolt that fixes the intake pipe to the L-bend/Elbow.

2. You then have to undo the two 13mm nuts and the 2 torx bolts that fix the elbow to the manifold. You can't see them all, but the nuts are located towards the front and back of the intake pipe, and the torx bits at the top and bottom of the EGR pipe.

3. You then have to undo the jubilee clip on the hose at the bottom. This is tricky to get into but if you have small hands its slightly easier.

4. The Elbow should just pull off now with a bit of wiggling. If it's too difficult you haven't loosened the jubilee clip enough. This is what it will look like when you have it off. I have tried to highlight the amount of sh*te that is built up around the EGR pipe, compared with the inlet to the elbow. It just shows what the EGR is recirculating back through the engine!!
Hdi boost gauge installtion guide DSC02087

inlet before a clean
Hdi boost gauge installtion guide DSC02088

outlet before a clean
Hdi boost gauge installtion guide DSC02089

5. I cleaned up the pipe with some diesel and a paintbrush. It wasn't perfect but it was a lot better to say the least. This is the outlet after a cleanup:
Hdi boost gauge installtion guide DSC02092

6. On the back of the Elbow there was a little round flat bit, which seemed the perfect spot to drill and tap for the take off. I'm not sure the exact size of drill i used, but it worked. You could use any type of take-off but the one I had came with my old boost gauge and had a 1/4" BSF thread, and the size of drill you should use for this is 5.3mm. I put some PTFE tape around the top of the thread, and some threadlock on it. This is what it looked like once i'd fixed it in:

Hdi boost gauge installtion guide DSC02091

7. It was then just a case of attaching the pipe to the take-off, then re-fitting the elbow. Before i fitted it i cleaned up the surface of the manifold to make sure there wasn't going to be any leaks. The torx bits are a pain in the arse to get back in so do them first. It's because the EGR pipe moves when you take the elbow off so you have to try and line it up again. After that's on just re-fit everything and it's done. Next thing is getting the pipe into the car.

8. I had actually run the pipe through a big grommet in the passenger footwell, it's probably the one everyone uses for amp cable etc. I drilled the hole from in the car, and pushed the pipe through to the engine bay and just pulled through what length I needed. All you have to do is mount the gauge somewhere, I made a Pod in the centre heater vents.
welsh_ben
welsh_ben
Part Of The Furniture

Town/County : Bridgend
Model owned : hdi dts
Dream Car : Golf GT TDI
Date Joined : 2008-07-14

http://www.welshmobile.2u.co.uk

Back to top Go down